Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Not Ready for Public Consumption

I baked the first loaf of "no knead" bread from the master recipe in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day last night. I'll put the results down as mixed for now. There are no pictures because I decided the test run wasn't quite ready for public consumption.

I ran into a few issues and realized some mistakes and omissions after the fact. My loaf came out of the oven with a nice shape and good looking crust to it, but it felt very dense. I had some issues shaping the loaf and found out after the fact that the website for the book suggests a longer rest period of 90 minutes (instead of 40) after shaping the loaf to prevent the crumb from being too dense. I still have 3/4 of the batch to experiment with, results to follow. I think giving the yeast more time to keep doing its thing will help.

Speaking of yeast, more excitement in the takeover attempt by InBev. I won't even pretend to understand how filings with the SEC work in matters like this, but the gist of it is that InBev is trying to get the shareholders to unseat the current Anheuser-Busch board of directors. Even more interesting is the family split that is becoming evident. Let the fireworks begin!

Speaking of alcohol, it looks like the neighborhood's "urban campers" have gone upscale.


As I approached the abandoned bottle, I didn't immediately recognize it as the usual beverages enjoyed by the "address unidentified" crowd. I had to take a closer look.


I'll leave this mystery in the unsolved file, but the opportunity for speculation is incredible. There are so many different directions to run with this one.

1 comment:

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Hi, I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors of "Artisan Bread In Five Minuetes A Day." Thanks for trying our stuff. If you want to achieve a lighter crumb, it can be done, check out our suggestions on our website at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=141. That's a sub-page specifically on this topic. If you have other questions or comments, come to the homepage at www.artisanbreadinfive.com, and you can post into any "Comments" field, or into the "Bread Questions" gateway on the left side of the homepage. The website acts as an interactive tool with the book... we answer questions fast!

Jeff Hertzberg
www.artisanbreadinfive.com