Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Visitor #10,000

I am betting (pretty safe bet) that in the time it takes me to post this post, I will have had my 10,000th visitor according to the sitemeter. Through the powers of the internet I know who you are, where you are, who you work for, what kind of computer you use, the resolution of your monitor . . .


In all reality, I don't know who you are, just some basic statistics that your computer dumps out into the world. Thanks for stopping by.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it looks like Whole Foods is running into potential issues with the Federal Trade Commission. If it's not one thing, it's another. A few months back the CEO took a PR beating for being an idiot. I couldn't find where his behavior fit into the company's core values, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I can only hope that the FTC forces Whole Foods to improve the store on Washington and Buchtel as part of any settlement. The sign has changed, but they still don't have the Ginger Spice cookie and I still get angered every time I go in there just to buy one thing only to find they don't have that one thing despite the fact they have 38 varieties of gluten free, low sodium, "food substitute".

I can understand both sides of the argument and I feel for Whole Foods on this one. They (and their competition within the "natural" foods stores) are facing increased pressure from the mega-chain grocery stores which are offering more and more products labeled as "natural" and "organic". So far as I can tell these offerings, especially when it comes to produce, just look beat up. Recently I have taken my business to the newer game in town, Sunflower Farmers Market where I can load up on all sorts of produce of respectable quality without going broke.

Have you taken a close look at your favorite box of cereal as of late? In an effort to stave off obvious price increases the kind folks at General Mills and Kellogg have been toying with the dimensions of the packaging. Just a tip, round numbers don't stand out. When my cereal box contains 14.7 oz. I am going to start asking questions. I'm sure once they get crop production straightened out after the whole "food?!? money is in ethanol!" debacle we'll get a couple ounces back . . . that is until the cost of transportation catches up with us. Oh well, there's always the comfort of a wholesome, hearty meal at Bennigan's . . .

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Congrats!

Sign me, Visitor No. 10,020.