Thursday, August 14, 2008

Packing List

Just for comparison . . . and I am by no means implying that I am Pro-Tour caliber, but here is the Garmin-Chipotle packing list compared to mine. I won't be riding/racing nearly as much as those guys, nor do I have anywhere close to the budget and sponsorship they do.

Garmin-Chipotle Packing List: Food/Rider/Day My Packing List: Entire Trip
6 bars between Clif, Mojo, Nectar, Z Bar 4 Clif gels
2 protein bars 4 Clif Bars
5 Clif gels 1 Bottle Sunscreen
4 Clif blocks 1 Credit Card
2 cans Clif electrolyte
0.5 can Clif recovery
2 sachets apple cider recovery (hot tea)
1 sachet hot chocolate recovery for chocolate fix!!!
7 home-made basmati rice cakes
4 fruit jellies
1 mussette
10 water bottles minimum
.10 ml sun lotion/start oil depending on the weather
8 safety pins
.10 ml chamois cream
200 g oats
300 g rice for home-made rice cakes
5 rice cakes
50 g cereal
150 ml soy milk
8 l water
10 g nuts
5 eggs
200 g meat/fish
3 yogurts
3 expresso coffee
10 ml olive oil
4 pieces of fruit
1 tablespoon of honey
Quarter baguette
4 pages newspaper each long descent or/and wet day to pack in shoes.
0.5 caps laundry detergent
1 large bath towel for shower in bus
20 ml shower gel
0.5 cups massage cream
0.25 rolls of plastic tape to attach earplugs from race radio


Garmin-Chipotle Packing List: Gear (9 riders) My Packing List: Gear
* 42 Felt Bicycles * 1 Felt B2 Pro TT Bicycle
* 27 rear Powertap 202’s * 1 Ibis Silk SL Bicycle
* 22 front 202’s * 1 Zipp Disc wheel (no Powertap)
* 6 rear Powertap 303’s * 1 Nimble Crosswind
* 10 front 303’s * 1 Front Easton Tempest II
* 40 rear Powertap 404’s * 1 Rear Easton Tempest II
* 26 front 404’s * 1 Extra Shimano Dura Ace Chain
* 12 rear Powertap 808’s * 2 Continental GP4000S Tires
* 17 front 808’s * 1 Credit Card (see above)
* 2 rear Powertap 1080’s
* 10 front 1080’s
* 21 Powertap Disc wheels
* 10 complete 2008 Shimano Dura Ace group sets
* 2 extra pair of huge cranks…177.5 & 180 mm
* 12 pairs of Shimano Dura Ace Pedals
* 50 Shimano Cleats…Red & Yellow
* 2 pair of Shimano Bar-End shifters
* 35 Shimano Dura Ace Chains
* Enough cables for 3 laps of France!
* 20 handlebars, aluminium & carbon
* 30 stems, as above
* 14 seatposts, same again
* 12 TT aero extensions, all shapes
* 3 TT carbon base bars
* Enough spare nuts and bolts to rebuild the team truck!
* 28 saddles
* 40 rolls of white bar tape
* 20 rolls of black bar tape
* 80 Corsa CX tubular tires
* 15 crono tubular tires
* 16 cans of the good ol’ sticky glue

Then I have all of my standard tourist gear to bring along like camera, reading material for the flights/train rides and credit card (see above). Only racing three days out of the entire trip makes it a little bit easier to pack the gear. For the other stuff, if I forget something, there is always the credit card. I checked the local forecasts for both Geneva and St. Johann and they are pretty much as expected for Europe at this time of year. It is entirely possible that it could rain the entire time.

I got out on the time trial bike last night for one last spin before throwing it in the box. I rode up Golden Gate Canyon, in big gears, in position . . . everything seems to be working. When I put the bike back together, I am going to generously lube the assembly connecting the stem to the "bayonet" fork because right now it is creaking like nobody's business. I debated cutting down the extensions on the bars since they don't fall within the UCI regulations, but I do have the morphological exemption clause going for me and as the official said last year, "Sie haben lange Arme . . ."

I'll get in one more ride on the road bike and then make sure everything is packed securely for the TSA to unpack and throw back in the box . . . I'll actually try to prevent that this year by hopefully repacking everything myself after inspection. According to the kind folk at DIA, I should be able to do so since nobody else takes any responsibility for damage.

Dempsey will get to hang out with Deb and Lou while I'm gone. I wonder if he will eat the mail that comes through the mail slot at her house.

2 comments:

I am Brian said...

Holy shit does it irritate me when people say "expresso".

What the hell is an expresso?

Unknown said...

good luck!