Saturday, August 30, 2008

Resting and Seeing the Sights

So a couple days after the time trial and my bike is still in my room where I last left it, safely packed in its bag. The awards ceremony the other night lasted forever since they had every single group to go through until they got to mine. Finally, I got called up to accept my 4th place trophy and have my picture taken. I went to take a look at the pictures from the time trial, but they were not very good, so I didn't buy any.

The last couple days, I watched the pros do their thing in the Tour of Germany. The prolog course through Kitzbuhel was kind of nuts, cruising mostly downhill before turning through the pedestrian area, over the cobbles and through a few arches. Those guys looked like they were moving pretty quickly. I got pictures of a few notables (all the real big names are at the Vuelta) to be posted later.

For my pre-race ride today, I hit the course and rode up to Schwendt to catch the day's ToG stage as they rolled through, and roll they did. Although the stage started in Kitzbuhel, a mere 25k from Schwendt, the lead group of four riders already had built up a 6 minute lead. The only idea I could come up with on that was that the main group stopped for breakfast along the way.

My last race for the season is another three laps on the road course, starting at 8:15 tomorrow morning. About 116k and 2:40 later, my season will be done with. I would like to end the season with a good result, eventhough that would mean delaying my departure for Munich.

I am looking forward to my time in Munich and no riding whatsoever. Mike was in the process of writing my program and said, "It would feel really good just to spin around a little while you are in Munich . . ." To that I said, "No.". I will not even take the bikes out of the bag, I don't even know where to ride in and around Munich. I will be sticking to the original plan of being a tourist.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Sounds like an excellent plan. Fun trip! And congrats on your win.