Friday, August 1, 2008

Scenes from the Hood

This post is somewhat of a photo dump, but there are some things in the neighborhood that have caught my eye over the last week and some that I stumbled onto by surprise. I figured I'd share since it is Friday and I don't have anything better to do.

My sister's house has a glut of trumpetvine that tries to conquer the space occupied by the A/C compressor on a weekly basis. I am tempted to get some from her for my to-be-landscaped backyard. When left to its own devices, trumpetvine will grow over everything, not as aggressively as kudzu, but what is?


One of my neighbors has actively tended their trumpet vine, cutting off all shoots below a certain point so that the vine forms a tree-like trunk. Then over time, they have braided the remaining shoots, supported the plant and let it take a different shape than you usually see. It is still a hair close to the house and looks like it might take over the roof of the patio in a couple years if they aren't careful.


I think these neighbors decided they didn't like their juniper bushes anymore. Either that or it was so hot the shrubs spontaneously combusted. I don't think you get messages from a burning bush if you are the incendiary.


I never noticed this one on Logan, but I'm pretty sure it is a non-native species that won't do well in this climate.


I have always liked these trees in the park which means the City will cut them down soon. They have been taking trees down in the park at a pace of one per year it seems. I think they are Catalpa trees, but I could just be making that up. They have a broad, heart-shaped leaf with pretty white flowers when the time comes.


A trip through the hood wouldn't be complete without a stop at Dempsey's secret stash of treats.

Sushi Den looks to be doing some early morning remodel work, should be all wrapped up before the lunch crowd hits Pearl Street. The back room has seen a number of changes over the last couple of years.


The morning walks have been much more pleasant than the afternoon version thanks to the heat. Nothing like 102 degrees as the forecast high, I think Dempsey wants to go swimming again.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Funny! I have noted a couple of the same things over the last couple of days. Those palm-tree things are brand-new. I can't imagine they'll survive the winter. But maybe?

I like the idea of training a vine on a utility pole, but trumpets are too vigorous. They're going to cause some problems. (I'm constantly ripping the Virginia creeper off the phone pole in my alley.)

Another nice example of a trained trumpet is on the fence behind Five Green Boxes on Iowa.

Sophie and I generally walk around midnight these days.