Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Elements of Reality

First off, it is Wednesday. I can tell because the weather is deteriorating significantly as the afternoon rolls on and my start time approaches for the KHMTT series. Unfortunately the weather is going far beyond the usual Wednesday madness and a Winter Storm Watch has been issued for the weekend with a 70% chance of mixed precipitation on Friday and Saturday. This could all be part of what I suspect is a conspiracy being carried out by local news media outlets to sell more advertisement, but only time will tell. I don't like the fact that very little bike racing has occurred in Colorado because of this late resurgence of winter.

After a mediocre showing last week, I'm ready to pretend that I am going to "crush it" out at Cherry Creek tonight, but with winds at 20 MPH, gusting to 30+ it is anybody's guess. I tested at the Echelon Sports Performance laboratories last night and the results were encouraging. I am currently putting out 6.326 horsepower/ton, I don't really know what that means since it isn't the standard measurement for cyclist. If you want to do the math on your own, you can convert it to the standard power to weight ratios for cars and compare.

I made the leap and booked my lodging for my European adventure for 2009. I will be heading to St. Johann in Tirol, Austria again this year for Masters' Worlds. I have been moving my way up the podium for both the time trial and the road race, although my real focus is the TT. This year, I'll be sharing housing with Mike Olheiser, a two time winner of the TT in my age group and all around good guy. He has had some really impressive results the past couple of years.

I am looking forward to this trip even though it seems like the end of August is a very long time from now. Given that racing has not really started, I am sure time will fly once it does. Nothing like having busy weekends every weekend for the duration of the summer . . . that is if summer ever comes.

No comments: