Sunday, April 26, 2009

Installation

With Deer Trail being as short as it was this year, a whopping 55 actual miles, I had plenty of time to work on some of the home projects yesterday afternoon. The completed crown moulding shelf went up on the door relatively easily and the cuts on the casing were much more simple than on the crown. The end result came out as expected and now I won't have to hunt around for the chalk or eraser. The chalkboard looks much better trimmed out than it did free floating.


I have found the chalkboard to be quite useful for quickly jotting down items for a grocery list or for care instructions when dog/cat sitting is necessary. The message above serves little to no purpose other than good natured, self-ridicule.

I also took a stab at making my recycled/reused window box. There was a decent amount of siding left from the garage project, most likely because a professional sider did the job and kept the waste to a minimum, but some of the 50" lengths are spot on for making window boxes to hold some plastic 24" containers. Using some left over pressure treated 2x6s and the siding, with minimal cutting necessary, I was able to craft this:


The materials are as weather proof as it gets and once painted, the window box will match the siding. This one will be for my kitchen herb garden, given that I don't kill everything I touch. I would like to plant some basil, chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, etc. I would like to plant some mint as well, but it will be in its own container.


I am taking another stab at growing excess basil from the grocery store. This little guy took root in a glass of water and just got transplanted this morning. If it keeps growing, I might transplant it to the window box. My guess is that i'll be buying some plants to fill the herb garden and try for starting from seed next season.

I need to build two more boxes for the garage and then go shopping for some geraniums. It is all slowly starting to take shape. I have all sorts of ideas but not as much time as I'd like to prep and plant between working, racing and training. Oh well, such is the life.

No comments: