Monday, April 20, 2009

Racin' Bikes

It happened, never thought it would, but we got to race bikes, although I don't know if I'm comfortable referring to it is "racing" just yet. I went in circles, following people until I couldn't follow people anymore. After that, I picked the next group to follow and put in my efforts to get a well rounded workout.

Speaking of well rounded, with the weather being a terrible as it was Friday and into Saturday, I decided to do some baking. It has been a while since my last cinnamon roll baking adventure, but I decided to stick with the recipe from the show Good Eats. It had a few things going for it, one being buttermilk, two being an overnight resting period for the dough to develop flavor, and three cream cheese icing.


Baked goods with mass amounts of cinnamon always make the house smell really good. I had to open the oven a couple times to get the full effect and check progress. If I remember for next time I make this recipe, I'll be cutting back on the sugar in the filling. There is much more than needed and it doesn't melt all that well.


I am going to have to keep the cream cheese frosting recipe handy since there are plenty of things I could think of that could use a good glazing. This stuff would work well on cookies, cakes, or my finger. Fortunately, I was able to show some restraint and I have some leftover which reheat well in the toaster oven.

There really wasn't much reason to move from the couch on Saturday except to check out what was happening in the outside world. I did motivate eventually to ride the trainer in the hopes of my legs not feeling like total garbage in the event that Sunday's race really did happen.

The course at the Air Force Academy is a "classic" and was partially used for the 1986 World Championships. There are about 950' of climbing per lap and it feels like one of those endless grinds especially a couple laps in. My legs didn't feel like total garbage, but they didn't feel spectacular either. Chuck was kind enough to get in the early move so I did my best of following, especially on the flats just in case somebody else decided to go. Nobody really went and I was part of the shrapnel as the race exploded over subsequent laps. Unfortunately the chase caught Chuck's group, whittled down to a duo, at the end of the fourth lap. I finished the race in my little group and called it a day. Fitness will come around, if not there's always professional eating . . .

No comments: