Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ewww

If all I could say were, "Yuck!" I wouldn't be posting this. Feel free to chime in, but when was the last time you ordered pizza from Domino's on purpose?

While the chain had it's place and time and did many things for many people when it comes to pizza delivery, their pizza is pretty low on the scale from bad to good. Certain statements in the article make it very clear that there are too many MBAs in the world. I give you, "When you have a brand that's almost 50 years old and you come out with new products, you want to make sure they're brand-enhancing." Does appetizing fit into the realm of "brand-enhancing" or is it something left to the scientists mentioned in the article? Mac-N-Cheese in a pizza crust bread bowl doesn't even sound very good, I'd hate to see the delivered product.

On the other side of the deliciousiocity scale is Golden Saigon in Aurora. To date, I have not had anything there that was not top notch. After the time trial at Cherry Creek, I joined Randy and Dee for dinner. We opted for the make your own spring roll plate which was the perfect amount of food post TT effort. They bring out a plate with chicken, shrimp, beef, veggies, and rice noodles, accompanied by a hotplate and pan of water for softening the rice paper. What you put in your spring roll is up to you as is how successfully you manipulate the rice paper. It was good to catch up with old friends, the jerks who tricked me into the whole bike racing thing in the first place . . .

The time trial, in retrospect, went about as expected. It is hard not to put pressure on yourself based on your memories of what you have done in the past, but fact of the matter is I don't come out both barrels blazing at the beginning of the season. My fastest time last year didn't come until a few weeks from now. Just for comparison:

DatePlaceTimeDatePlaceTime
------4/8/2009522:10.0
------4/15/2009222:14.4
4/23/2008121:46.34/22/2009321:53.3
4/30/2008121:46.0------
5/7/2008221:27.7------
5/14/2008122:07.5------
5/21/2008121:13.0------

My goal is to go sub-21:00 and retire from the sport and move on to my real love, competition eating. As long as I don't have to join in any Domino's Pasta in a Bread Bowl contests, I'd be happy as a pig in a well stocked barnyard.

No comments: