Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Now That I'm A Hick

As a truck owner, I have certain responsibilities. I have to track expenses related to the truck since it is a shared vehicle and every bulb, accessory, drop of oil, coolant, or washer fluid that goes into it gets split up. I also have to embrace some of the redneck roots that I really don't have, but can easily adopt thanks to instant access created by the media. When somebody says, "NASCAR, blah, blah, blah" I can latch firmly onto whatever they say and respond with an emphatic, "Chevy?!? please!" or "D'yu see that!?!"

The WSJ now has sports coverage. The first shocker was when they started including color pictures, but to cover sports, that's just crazy talk. I guess they can still give just about anything a financial spin. Take NASCAR for example, it is a huge dollar venture, even though it is based on a bunch of good ol' boys making their way the only way they know how. I read the first few words of this one the other day before deciding that truck or no truck, I really didn't care. I should have shut down when I saw the picture of a Toyota as part of an article about stock car racing . . . oh my gaaah, d'yu see that?!?

Interesting fact, NASCAR teams go through 1000 gallons of oil in a season, mostly because they use separate oil for qualifying laps and regular racing. Not only is this a waste of precious resources, but it isn't in keeping with the roots of the sport. How much moonshine would have been confiscated if early heros of the "sport" like Junior Johnson stopped mid run . . . think about it.

No comments: