Monday, April 16, 2007

Fitness

This weekend was good for gaining some much needed fitness. Conditions for Boulder Roubaix couldn't have been much better. The road was potholed as expected, but there were some lines that were decent enough. The race stayed together for the first few laps which made it a little tougher to find good lines going from the feed zone to the finish. I put in a small effort to get to the front and pick my own lines, but it didn't amount to much.



Once the real move made it up the road it was pretty well represented and the remaining group wasn't doing too much racing. I put in a feeble attempt to bridge, but did little more than dangle. My lack of volume reared its ugly head as I got progressively slower with each passing lap. I finished and that's about all I can say.

The race at the Air Force Academy was a good one to watch from the feed zone after 3 laps. My legs decided they had enough after popping off the back on the 2nd lap and chasing back for the third climb up the hill. I got back to the group, rode through, popped, and limped back to the car. Kevin rode well as usual . . . it was amusing to see Mike Carter roll around solo to finish a good 30 seconds ahead of the next finisher.

The program is set for the week including a nice long, slow recovery ride tomorrow. Ah to be a cycling tourist again . . .

No comments: