Monday, September 15, 2008

Break It Down

The time has come to get to prepping for construction in the backyard which means the ol', trusty storage shed had to go. Upon further inspection, my assumptions were confirmed. The shed, just like most of the other home improvements to my house prior to me owning it, was a giant, half-baked idea motivated, pile of garbage. Oh sorry, that wasn't upon further inspection, that was upon further destruction.


In all reality, the shed was a piece of junk. I thought I would be able to unbolt it and offer it up for sale on Craigslist with the hope that somebody would take it away, even if for free. No such luck . . . I couldn't even take it apart in such a way as to be able to dispose of it easily. When I took out the bolts for parts that looked like they should have disassembled I found they were tack welded together. Screws were painted/rusted in place and the hinges for the doors were welded to the frame which attached to the entire roof "member" preventing me from removing the doors without destroying them.


Looks like I'll be going to plan B which is call my hauling company of choice and have them come give me an estimate to make this pile and a couple others in the yard disappear. I'll take some more tools of destruction to the shed to try and break it down into some smaller parts. I wonder if the hollow metal frame shop at work would let me borrow a cutting torch . . . Just for reference, I left the couch in the position/state in which it started. It didn't move during the demo process, that's where the shed used to stand . . . sniff, sniff.

I am in the process of pulling together lumber quotes from Universal Forest Products, Inc. thanks to some help from one of my Tokyo Joes' Cycling team teammates, Duane. Part of the project is going to be replacing the siding on the back addition to the house. It will match the garage ultimately, but as you can see, whatever non-exterior grade material was previously installed isn't looking so hot these days.


I stepped off the footprint for the garage for fun. My backyard should be much more quaint, cozy, and manageable in the future and I'll still be able to have the landscape features I want. Hopefully it won't be too long before the wasteland is a distant memory.

No comments: