Thursday, September 11, 2008

In the Dark

Getting back out on the bike is great and all until you are reminded that it gets dark at about 7:15 now. I was on the way home from a lovely ride up Lookout and thought to myself, "Self, there are a lot of cars with their headlights on already." By the time I was cruising back along my regular route, it was already getting pretty much to the point of twilight. Soon the days of two hours rides after work will be all but a memory. I will look back upon them fondly as I slave away on the trainer in the basement.

I have added a new baking project to the list for this weekend. I remember, back in the day, the Temptee Bagel Bakery in Durham, NC used to have bagel dogs . . . what a great invention, whoever thought of it. Most of the commercial bagel dogs out there suffer from two things, design flaws (open ends of bagel material) and poor raw materials. With the opening of the Costco closer to my end of town, I plan on picking up a membership and using it to buy many things in quantities larger than humanly consumable. Among those things will be the stellar, kosher hot dogs they sell. This will also give me the opportunity to try my hand at home bagel baking, boiling included. I am looking forward to slicing open a freshly baked everything bagel dog, liberally applying some quality mustard, and going to grub town!

Also on the list of projects to get going this weekend is the garage. I have a couple sets of plans out to get some bids for labor and material. I will need to pull permits and get the back yard cleared out. This means taking apart the storage shed that looks to be mostly bolted together. Anybody want a storage shed? If you look hard enough, you can find a picture somewhere of the thing.

No comments: