Friday, September 26, 2008

What's in Your Oven?

I hear that cinnamon is to people as catnip is to cats. Without fail, ever time I open the tin of cinnamon, I take a big whiff and there's nothing like a house filled with the smells of cinnamon rich baked goods. As planned, I fired up the oven last night and made a couple loaves of cinnamon raisin buttermilk bread.

Don't bother leaning in and trying to smell your monitor, it doesn't work. The loaves came out nicely with a golden top crust that was hit with an egg wash and sugar before going into the oven. If I change anything for future loaves, it will be raisin content. I think I had a few too many, making it difficult to slice the bread . . . except for the loaf that went straight into the freezer. Again, couldn't tell you why, but frozen slices of cinnamon raisin bread are outstanding!


Here's a closer look and no there aren't slices missing, it's perspective, foreshortening is the culprit, not me! What makes you think I'd be so bold as to take a still warm slice from the middle of the loaf that I was going to slice up and bring to work?


In economic news, another one bites the dust. Washington Mutual was the victim of their own idiocy and a good old fashioned bank run. Their demise was "triggered by a wave of deposit withdrawals" which kind of makes me laugh a little bit. If I weren't keeping all of my money under my mattress, it would be in jars buried in the backyard. I heard all of the banks are going to fail now because your hated political party of choice is delaying the bailout process. My real hope is that my mortgage documents will simply fall through the cracks in the transfer to JP Morgan Chase, but according to the FDIC, no such luck.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Wow. Look at that perfect swirl! I know from my Nutella bread experiments that that is no easy feat.

Comfort food for uncomfortable times.

I am Brian said...

My monitor smells...

...but not like cinnamon.