Sunday, September 14, 2008

Buying in Bulk

I was all prepared with bagel/bagel dog pictures for the weekend update, but . . . when I got back to the computer the pictures that I uploaded didn't get autosaved by Blogger. Oh well, I'll just have to put them back in again later. And I've been back . . .

It was a good weekend all in all. Friday night, I met up with Pinkerton, Kendall, and the Saras for some dining and entertainment. Entertainment in the form of watching all the goofballs at the Candlelight Tavern. Ahhh, college kids . . . In any case, the rain had finally cleared up and I was about to make use of the beater bike for the evening's adventures. Nice change of pace and amusingly Kendall passed me on Logan, but I still beat him door to door for the trip to Thai Basil.

Continuing my return to riding regularly, I got out and about with the Pinkertons on Saturday for a ride towards the hills. We headed out to Lookout the scenic way, through Rolling Hills Country Club and then to Golden. They weren't looking for crazy intensity, but I dragged them up the hill at a respectable pace, including my two 53x15 efforts for seven minutes a pop. We kept with the uphill theme to the turn off for Mt. Vernon before cutting through Genesee Park to head back toward Red Rocks, Morrison, Bear Creek Park and home. I met up with the Pinkertons again on Sunday for a much colder, cloudier ride through the flat lands. The sun finally came out yesterday afternoon after I was done riding.

Saturday afternoon I split a Costco membership and shopping trip with my sister. We can now buy all sorts of random stuff in bulk. I opted for the smaller 25 pound bags of flour for my future baking exploits for fear of not being able to use it all before it gets funky. It is pretty amusing wandering around looking at what's what, trying to figure out if you are saving anything by buying in large quantities. There are certainly some good deals, but some things you can get in completely normal amounts at the grocery store for less. Splitting up the larger items once we got back to Deb's house was pretty amusing, totally should have bought the box of 18,000 ziplock bags in the 1-gallon size.

I spent Sunday morning trying out my bagel baking technique. I used the recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day in tandem with the previously posted bagel dog concept. I opted to make an everything bagel with garlic, onion, poppy seed, sesame seed, italian seasoning, and kosher salt. There was something not quite right about the round bagels, but I think an adjustment to boiling time and oven temperature/humidity will take care of that. I ended up with a slightly bready bagel as opposed to the dense, chewy goal I had in mind. The bagel dogs turned out very well though, possibly because of the additional "moisture" in the dogs themselves. I had to sample a couple of the defective ones. The everything bagel went very well with spicy mustard and Hebrew National dog.

The setup . . .

Everybody in the pool.

How to become everything.

Eat me!


I will tinker some with the rest of the dough, get some more dogs wrapped, baked, and into the freezer to be enjoyed later. A bagel dog reheated on the grill at a cross race sounds like a pretty good option to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As long as you're at Costco, try the Sinai 48 hotdogs. Your parents think those are better than the Hebrew National ones. After all, what does Conagra know about kosher? It's really not clear what "higher authority" they answer to!