Friday, September 19, 2008

The Fear of Golf

Our upcoming company tournament has instilled the fear of golf in me. I haven't swung a golf club since the tournament last year when I was fortunate to have not tarnished my family name and reputation.

To make matters worse, I found out I got kicked off of my team for this year and nobody even told me! Good news is I am on a different team now, an older, wiser team that values camaraderie, sportsmanship, and hard drinking. I've got the fitness to play a full 18 holes for sure, especially with the assistance of the golf cart. Not having to walk around will allow me to save all my strength for swinging the old sticks. If you remember anything from last year, those sticks are old and do not provide any of the advantages of technological advancements in club design and material selection since 1974.

It is always nice to have a company outing where we all get together away from the work place with our vendors, subcontractors, clients, and others to be social, pretend to not talk shop at all, and keep the flow of business steady for the coming years. My role in this will remain on the fairly anonymous level. I try to stay well hidden my office, sheltered by the hard working folks out in the field. It is nice having interaction with the client at the beginning of the job when the coffers are flush and construction realities haven't yet made a mess of the job site. Eh, whatever . . . tomorrow is the weekend, I can come back to it all on Monday!

In financial news, thank goodness, the market is back to almost exactly where it started Monday morning before disaster struck. This means we're in the clear right? The government doesn't have to do anything beyond drafting a plan of action right?

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Golf is nice, but pool is even better for socializing. I used to rent out (the now defunct) Shakespeare's for functions and have everyone play round-robin games, where the losing team moved to the next table. Everyone got to chat quite a bit, and even if you sucked at pool, it wasn't high-pressure.