Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall Golf Classic Round 1

It was right about this same time last year when I decided I am really not so bad at golf. I got out for the first time since playing in last year's company tournament yesterday, just a few short days before this year's tourney. John, Pinkerton and I hit the Harvard Gulch Golf Course in all of it's first full day of fall splendor.

John is about to unleash his patented, double clubbed, windmill approach shot (not really) in this picture.


The three of us played pretty evenly, but John and I started to pull away from Pinkerton after a couple holes. My short game is exceptional except for putting, chipping, and a couple other things that kept me from shooting par every hole. I carried a lead of a few strokes into the final holes and almost choked royally, but pulled out the win in the first round of the Fall Golf Classic.

We decided to hit the links every Monday, from now until darkness takes over, since Monday is "active recovery" day for me and I don't have to ride anyways. It was a good time and a few laughs were had by all. Golfing was followed by happy hour at Bistro One which was blinding. Great place, but chose your seats carefully or you might find yourself staring into the sunset until you have no retina left. On the plus side they are one of the few joints in town that I have come across that has Hoegaarden on tap and at $3.50 for 1/2L . . . that's curiously like Budweiser pricing, coincidence?

So come Saturday when I hit the real sized golf course for the company tournament I will have had both golfing and imbibing practice. I will be well prepared and the company will be spared unnecessary embarrassment beyond the usual. As usual, the full report will follow.

No comments: