Tuesday, March 18, 2008

If You've Got It

Since getting a new phone and what a smart phone it is, I have been poking around to see what is out there to make use of the capabilities the device has built into it. One of the features that seems like it would be very handy is the GPS receiver.

There is a piece of software out there called GPSed that makes use of the data collected by the receiver and plots routes straight to Google Maps. There are a couple of issues with the application (I'm pretty sure I never hit 65 kph this morning), but it is also a free beta right now. Check out the morning walk with the dog.

I need to read up on the photo pinning features. Apparently you can put pictures on your map with geotags so you know exactly where the photo was taken. Is any of this really necessary or useful? Sort of . . . I'll try it out today and leave the application running in the background to see how quickly the battery gets used up. If all works well, I'll probably use it to map rides for kicks, not because I should, but because I can.

In other technology . . . I read recently about an SD card that has Wi-Fi built in, on board. I know SD is "huge" compared to the MicroSD format, but the amount of stuff shoved in/on this device is incredible. Nothing like being able to get your pictures from your digital camera to your computer without having to find cables, etc.

Rumor has it a few of us are going to Meridian tonight to get in some race pace training. That should be amusing.

4 comments:

I am Brian said...

I checked the satelite image of your walk, and noticed that you forgot to pick up Dempsey poo in the park. Sure, you thought no one would notice since it was near the bush, but whatever, Big Brother sees all!

Seth Rubin said...

Actually, you'll notice in the first bit of the walk there is a little jog into the alley between Sherman and Grant on Florida. That was me throwing the Dempsey poo in the dumpster before we even hit the park. Having a dog that goes to the bathroom on command rules!

KarmaTee said...

Damn. When I got a phone with a camera I asked myself "How is this necessary?" but this is a whole different animal. Ha.

Bolivar said...

Has nothing to do with your phone, but for your tubular gluing guide:
http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/