Thursday, March 6, 2008

Now You've Gone Too Far!!!

In a former life, I worked on a project that focused on removing impediments to pedestrians from S. Colorado Blvd. in an interest of encouraging transit use on a very congested corridor. We secured funding through our regional agencies to underground utilities, widen sidewalks, move signs, etc.

I stumbled (pun fully intended thank you very much) across this one this morning and had to shake my head. Maybe it is a sign of the time and I am just old fashioned, although I do own a "smart" phone, but I'd rather see a project that encourages people on the street to punch others staring at their phones and texting while walking. Has the world really become that banal and devoid of stimuli, that we have to kill time while outside walking around texting?

I hate text messages, but was motivated into my recent phone switch by a) what I could get for free device wise and b) the inclusion of a minimal data plan because even though it only costs $.15/text message with out a plan I get all sorts of pissed off when my friends send me texts like a 14 year old girl. What's the point of typing out a "quick" message with your thumbs when you could have an entire voice conversation in the same amount of time?



Smart phones offer many advantages over a regular cellular device. I can get directions, contact information, my precise location, messages of all kinds. I can talk to people who aren't right in front of me. I can play games and kill time in places like the airport, the waiting room. I can browse my favorite sites, share humorous findings from the web with friends, and I can even blog. I will try to be conscious about when and where I do these things. If I am doing all of this in the wrong setting (walking down the street, at dinner, in social settings), I invite you to punch me in the mouth. Don't let your own cell/smart phone become your very own electronic pacifier.

1 comment:

KarmaTee said...

Or, if you are my friend's fiance, you can watch episodes of Grey's Anatomy while driving, alone, the three hours from Nashville to Knoxville at 3 a.m...