Monday, December 22, 2008

Excuses, Excuses

I would have done more blogging on Friday or over the weekend, but I had my hands full with an unruly patient. Fortunately for me, in her current condition, between the Vicodin and the bad wheel, Deb is going no where fast. I'll have to stop taunting her sometime shortly before she becomes mobile again. She had her surgery on Friday to give her a bionic foot after hers was cut off as she was trying to escape Cloud City, wait, that was from The Empire Strikes Back.


Everything appears to be healing as it should, no signs of infection, blood poisoning, or growth of extra toes. Like the wonderful brother I am, I have been waiting on her hand and foot, but mostly foot. Besides bringing her ginger ale and soup and other nourishment, I have been giving her answers for her medical concerns.

Deb: My foot hurts.
Seth: Well no shit, they cut off part of the bone and stapled it back together, it is going to hurt.

For sympathy and bedside manner, I give myself a 7 on a scale of 10. It would be lower, except I do actually provide hot soup when she is hungry and I don't make her get it herself. She has a follow up appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday. I'm assuming after then she'll be a little bit more mobile and a little less hooped up on the junk.

Sunday, after Deb started nodding off, I headed for the hills for some snowshoeing with Joey Brenner and Dempsey. For a change of pace, we headed to Kanosha Pass to see how the snow was there. The sun was shining and the snow was plentiful. It made for a good day out and about.


Dempsey had not been snowshoeing since last season so it was good to get him outside. Judging by how quiet he was on the ride home, I think the snow and fresh air tired him out. Always ready for a photo op, he stood still long enough for me to start piling snow on top of him while Joey readied the camera.


I made it home in time to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah.


I decided not to torture Deb who is stuck in the house, on the couch for a few more days. I held off on making latkes and will wait until she can escape the smell of fried potato before firing up the first batch. Happy Hanukkah . . .

No comments: