Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fill 'er Up!

The fun never stops around here. I got the UPS email notification that my wine had been delivered and mere moments later, I got a call from our warehouse manager saying there was a heavy box by the dock for me.

When I get home, the wine fridge will get a quick 12-bottle transfusion, 6 bottles each of the Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz, vintages 2001 and 2003. From my experience, this wine is tasty with hints of "grapey" and "good" while displaying a nice "red" color. I have just displayed my wine tasting knowledge in its entirety. If anybody has any questions about the "juice", I probably can't answer beyond, "I like it!"

As the countdown to Hanukkah continues, I'm prepping for the inevitable latke making session. Brian was nice enough to forward this link, there are some good hints, especially "Step 1: Open kitchen windows or else when you begin to fry your house will stink up." The greatest Hanukkah miracle ever would be a house in which latkes were fried, that didn't smell of fried potato for the next eight nights. As a matter of principle, I can not support the food processor method for grating potatoes for latkes. It should be done on a grater that looks like this:


They are often sold as safety graters, but I can say from first hand experience that you can lose a good chunk of knuckle skin if you get greedy and try to grate down to the smallest nub of potato possible. Food processor latkes have no soul . . .

No comments: