Monday, October 6, 2008

Autumn in the Hills

I spent some quality time this weekend taking in autumnal sights, taking part in seasonal activities, and cooking some fall foods.

Friday night, a few of us hit the First Friday art walk on Santa Fe and then Tennyson with some dinner at the Santa Fe Tequila Company with the obvious margarita accompaniment in between. Santa Fe as a street has some pretty incredible people watching on an art walk evening. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to make the most of it, but I'll always have the memories. There was some interesting art on Tennyson, but even more interesting was the curator who hit us with a barrage of drunken interpretive dance in her efforts to make a sale. I don't think the artist who was standing near by was very impressed. Despite the curator's insistence that the artist didn't have business cards, he readily produced one and told us to deal with him directly.

I managed to get out for a nice ride in the hills on Saturday, heading out to Golden, up Lookout, over to Mount Vernon Country Club, and back through Grapevine Road, Morrison and home. You can check out the route if you'd like, but it wasn't anything terrible exciting. I wanted to hit Shadow Mountain but it looked cold, dark and windy further west and up.

My post ride hunger inspired me to do some cooking Saturday evening. I had some pumpkin left from last year that I figured I might as well make use of. It has been a while since I had a good pumpkin muffin, so I got to baking. While I was at it, I made a loaf of European Peasant Bread which was a nice, hearty, crusty bread. It would have been prettier had it not exploded in the oven due to hyperactive oven spring, but it still tasted good with the Spicy Pumpkin Soup that was the first course . . . followed by a Walnut-Sage Chicken. Like I said . . . inspired to cook.

On Sunday, the activity of the day was heading up to Frisco for some hiking and cross race watching, ignoring the forecast calling for 70% chance of snow. When are weather forecasters ever right? The colors and views from Mt. Royal were pretty spectacular early in the afternoon.

There was some evidence of earlier rain showers, but the sun was shining during the hike for the most part. I didn't have any horrible flashbacks to my ride to Vail while walking down the bike path, in fact it was quite lovely.


I even managed to get a couple accidental artsy shots of droplets on leaves. The lighting ended up being pretty cool if I do say so myself. It was nice to be operating with the dedicated camera instead of the camera/phone.

At the tail end of the hike, it was evident that the weather was rolling in. The clouds didn't have the friendly, puffy look anymore, but the contrast of colors was still pretty to look at.

We got to the cross race in time to catch the end of the SM Open race, nothing too terribly exciting. By the end, the wind was picking up significantly and the temperature was dropping. I had spent the day hiking in a t-shirt, but had to bundle up quickly as the rain and sleet started coming down.

After some snacks and general warming back up, it was time to hit the road and brave the elements. Surprise surprise . . . not much traffic this weekend, even at prime traffic time. All in all, it was another lovely weekend making it that much more difficult to return to the daily grind. Now where's my coffee!?!?

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Beautiful shots! I'm just not ready for that white stuff yet, dangit.

KarmaTee said...

Look at all the brown pine trees! I haven't seen the pines in the central part of the state in a while, and every time I do get up there, I am blown away by how many more trees have died. Unbelievable. But the aspens are still pretty.