Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sliding

Amazing how a full summer and autumn of morning walks will make you forget the existence of ice on the sidewalk. As of 6:04 AM today, ice was rediscovered in a very awkward and unbalanced manner. I was minding my own business, trying to fight off the chill from the wind when all of a sudden, my feet started moving in unexpected directions. Dempsey being the intelligent being that he is, kept it to the grass and was unhindered.

I am not completely ready to acknowledge the coming of winter. So what if I caved already and turned on the heat for the season, that doesn't mean anything. I did my best to ignore the couple of flakes that fell yesterday afternoon on my walk through the park. On the bright side, at least I can crank the oven to make some bread and not have to worry about the house getting too warm.

Speaking of slides, anybody check out the market today? I'm trying to interpret the trend here . . . I'm going to have to go with "not good" . . .

My latest investment scheme is still in bricks and mortar, or at least wood and cementitious siding product. After some serious hounding, I have a couple of workable concrete bids for getting my garage slab done. I plan on having that contracted by the end of the week so I can get on with the rest of the project. I didn't bother taking a picture to update, but the couch in the backyard is now gone, thanks to the City of Denver and "large item pickup" services offered monthly. With any luck, I should be swinging a hammer a couple weekends from now and getting some walls up. Building stuff is fun, sort of.

No comments: