Thursday, October 30, 2008

Civic Duties

I, Seth Rubin, of sound mind and body, have exercised my rights under the 14th, 15th, 19th, 24th and 26th Amendments of the Constitution of the United States of America and a bunch of other stuff. Reading through all of the items on the ballot was a bit of an unpleasant reminder of the scope and scale of government in this day and age. Some regulation is good, but the fact that we have to protect people from themselves (as opposed to each other) is sad.

Thank goodness nobody is going to give up anything in this election without a fight. Fortunately the Denver Police were on hand at Harvard Gulch for early voting in case things got out of hand.


They weren't really there for voting, they just hang out there all the time. I was able to do some informal polling based on visuals. At least between the three voters I was looking at, there is a dead tie. The guy in the Prius voted Obama. The woman in the SUV who almost hit me while I was biking away voted McCain. The guy with dreadlocks and hippie garb wrote in Jerry Garcia who I am pretty sure isn't eligible to be President because of his association with "undesirables" or maybe because he is dead.

We'll find out how it all turns out on Tuesday or months from then depending on lawsuits. Thank goodness for the 21st Amendment!

No comments: