Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Harvest Moon

Tonight is the first full moon of the season (since the autumnal equinox) making it the harvest moon. I saw the moon rise last night around 7:00 in the evening and it had the seasonal orange tint to it. This morning as I was returning from my walk with Dempsey, the moon was setting behind the mountains as the sun was rising in the east. Good times . . .


Today will be my first afternoon trainer workout. It is time to get back to some intensity and start thinking about building towards next year. I have had plenty of fun cross training and floating in the realm of only sort of training for the past few weeks. It isn't like I have been off the bike all together, but it sure seems that way sometimes.

I had some good cross training yesterday, running with Dempsey after work. I figured out the trick to keeping him moving (besides putting a raw steak in my pants) during a run longer than five minutes. It is all about gaits . . . he seems to like the trot the best, but at a Dempsey canter (lope for you western riders) he keeps up much better. It is all a matter of getting him to the right gait. If he were a horse, it would be all about leg pressure (or a kick for you western riders), but since he's a dog he gets a light tug on the leash and some encouragement. Kicking him would probably elicit some stares and phone calls.

I also rode over to Wash Park for some evening tennis with my sister. She's been getting better with lessons and playing has been pretty amusing. I brought my "A" game last night, if I even have one, and hit some nice shots and some great serves. It sure will be sad returning to the basement as my primary source of exercise.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Nice moon shot! Did you use a long lens?