Monday, October 13, 2008

Grilling and Disbelief

Sunday marked the return of the oh so stylish and classy Miller Highlife Grill to the Colorado Cyclocross scene. The grill means many things to many people . . . greatest, dumb thesis statement overused by students everywhere by the way . . . for some it was heat on a cold, damp day, for others it is opportunity. Some people are simply awed by what can be accomplished with such a simple tool. Ah the many wonders afforded by flame.


The grill has seen some pretty stout action in the past and my world of charcoal grilling has stretched from meats to baking, from beer bread and bananas foster to nothing but hot flame.


You can see my look of disbelief mirroring the disbelief of others who were shocked (and awed) by the fact that Matt and I were grilling tater tots. Tots have been done successfully many a time and they come out mighty fine with a nice smokey flavor and good crunch. The other items in view are some nicely warmed sauerkraut and some Hebrew National dogs. You can't tell from the look on Matt's face, but he ran from my house to Bear Creek Lake Park which ended up being a hair over 15 miles. I need to check my house carefully to see what he stole causing him to run like that.

Having made its triumphant return, the grill will likely travel more often now. I need to do some digging and see what my next masterpiece will be. I would like to stretch the limits a bit further this year and really test the true potential of simple charcoal. My response to "You can grill _______?!?!" is rapidly becoming "YOU can't?!?!"

I got out on Saturday in the cold and wet for a three hour cruiser of a ride with Scott and others. The further west we went, the wetter it got, so we turned back at the mouth of Deer Creek Canyon and made the loop of Highlands Ranch. Scott was in full cruise mode, so I was dinking around in the 53x13 (read big, big gear) just grinding away, getting my own workout in. I was successful in avoiding the trainer for another day, but I think this week is the week for getting re-acclimated to the basement.

No comments: