Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Building Stuff

When we last visited the backyard, there was a shed. Prior to that, there was a dumpster that quickly got filled with a bunch of junk. Now, there's a hole and some equipment to move some dirt.


And some forms for what will soon be the concrete pad for my garage. The pad itself is going to be a reinforced edge slab which means that the edges are thickened beyond the 4" thickness of where I'll be parking my car, and reinforced with rebar, tied into the wire mesh embedded in the pad itself. Translation, sucker should be staying put, cracking should be minimal.


After everything is graded properly, a layer of road base will be added providing a stable surface for the concrete to sit on.


I will have a lot of space to park cars, work on my secret projects, hide from Dempsey, and maybe even ride the trainer. The garage takes up a big chunk of the backyard, but I'm perfectly ok with that. It blocks the "view" of the alley and beyond which isn't really all that great anyways and it give me a smaller area to landscape more thoughtfully.




Before framing starts, I plan on having the biggest game of four square my backyard has ever seen. Anybody have a bouncy, red gym ball?

2 comments:

Kitt said...

That's great! Adding a good-sized garage has so many benefits. A place to keep your stuff safe, work on projects and boost your property value. (The garage I added to my old house was a big selling point.)

One suggestion: Put in a nice window facing the yard, and add shutters and a window box. It'll make the garage look more like a cottage out back than a storage building.

Admin1 said...

I think there is a big red ball in the back of the Rio van. It was used for kick/dodge ball in Austin but it should work for four square too. Check with Allen he should know where its at.
Word
Dan