Thursday, May 15, 2008

Back in the Hunt

Now that everybody in the P/1/2 field has skipped at least two races in the time trial series, we are back to a level playing field. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to catch up with Scott Tietzel because his attendance record was better than mine, but for the first week since the series started, I'm in the lead. Next week is the last race in the series and my last chance to beat Mike.

Last night, the wind made the effort deceptively hard. Everybody said pretty much the same thing . . . flying out of the start, felt good, felt good, didn't feel so good, struggled coming into the finish. At the end I felt like I went hard, but I didn't put the same time I have before into those in front of me and I blew up spectacularly on the hill.

This weekend's racing will be on two new courses. Gone is the old Wheels of ________ (take your pick) on the training track in Golden, a course hated by many because it is wide open and you can take one of a thousand lines through the corners. Racing on that course in the P/1/2 field was much less horrifying than racing it as a Cat 3. There have been some pretty nasty crashes up there in years past. The Coal Miner Classic has also moved down the street from the old Storagetek (now Sun) site. We'll see how that all goes.

No comments: