Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gardening and Other Growths

Post Derby party, I was left with gobs of mint sprigs from a variety of grocery store packs. As I have done in the past, I clipped the ends and tossed the still living mint in water, put them in the window sil so they could get some sun, and patiently waited for roots to magically appear. I am not sure if there is any method to the madness I'm practicing, but eventually some sprigs sprout roots, others simply rot and die. I potted the ones with roots last night with the hopes they would thrive and one day take over my yard (ideally in time for the Derby next year).


I had some basil that took a liking to the water. Hopefully its instinctive affinity for dirt will kick in and take over. This experiment has been done in the past with limited success, mostly due to sporadic care of the test subjects.


My grass sproutlings from my earlier overseeding took off in the front yard as well. You can see the difference between the grass existing from when sod was initially laid and the new, young, tender stuff. It may have been a little late in the season, but hopefully the seed I spread out on Sunday will fill in similarly. Those dandelions are a hell of a pesky weed.


The cookie tree I planted last fall seems to be producing some nice fruits. I picked these oatmeal craisin white chocolate chip cookies last night and plucked the low hanging snickerdoodles.


The online recipe exchange has started, meaning I am plucking recipes on an as needed basis from The Biscuit Pusher. In the spirit of giving I passed along the link to Pecan Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze recipe, it only seemed fair.

There are some talented people out there whose web musings enrich my life. Their time is well spent crafting something worth reading and keeping track of. Then there is this guy, although I see practical applications come winter when most of us are trainer bound.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

I'm going to keep an eye out for that cookie tree in the 'hood and raid it in the middle of the night.

Then go cow-tipping for some milk.