Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Iron Horse - The Time Trial

If you want to be aero, you have to think aero, you have to act aero, you have to eat and drink aero . . . might as well drive aero too.


Jessica was nice enough to meet us at the top of the hill at the end of the time trial so we didn't have to hit the highway for a windy ride back to town. I got to drive in my skin suit, I would have worn my aero helmet too, but the tail didn't fit right with the headrest and I would have lost precious seconds. If you look closely at my facial expression, it says, "I'm not riding back to no town on this here bike, get me in the car, we're outta here!"


The time trial wasn't as much fun as I hoped, that whole hard effort thing made it kind of painful. On top of that I was having all sorts of issues with my piriformis muscle, to the point where I wanted to quit a few miles before the finish. I tried to back off just before the climb, but found it to be as unamusing as anticipated. I made the mistake of gearing down too much to the point where I'm pretty sure I would have been better stopping, getting of the bike, doing a couple quick stretches, maybe taking a drink of water, and then getting back on the bike to finish the climb. I think I am exaggerating, we'll see when the results are posted. I feel confident in saying I didn't win . . . Ben Kneller goes real fast, Todd Wells is an Olympian, and my effort was not all too spectacular this go round.

I'll refer you back to Brian for the account of the return trip, he's got the pictures, I was driving, two hands on the wheel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work out there Seth. You took some mighty pulls to get the group back to the leaders. Neat to watch.

If I may say so, your tubular glue job looked great from the sidelines.