Thursday, May 1, 2008

Well Naturally

Since I started racing bikes way back when, somewhere around 2002, I think the Lookout Mountain Hill Climb has been postponed because of weather just about every year except maybe last year.

We'll see how today and tomorrow pan out, but I hear it is snowing in the hills as of 8:30 am. Conditions would be ideal for Kevin (not that it matters, he is flyin' for a "retired" guy), he's had significant training in the snow and wet, including a jaunt in the hills early this morning. From where I'm sitting . . .


At least the snow didn't come last night as per the usual pattern and I got to race out at Cherry Creek. Heading out was nice and easy, I don't think I have ever had such a relaxing trip up the little roller in the middle of the course. Coming back was a different story. Fighting the wind made for tough times. After clearing up a slight data entry snafu which omitted me from the results, I was able to see my time . . . a new personal best! It was only .3 seconds faster, but I'll take it given the conditions.

I don't have any new pictures from across the street to share, but in other development news, Denver City Council just approved a downzoning in the Highlands near 32nd and Lowell and an area near Sloan's Lake. Zoning will change from R2 which allows for multifamily to R1 which allows only single family. It will be interesting to see what happens with property values over the next couple of years in that area. Both sides on the issue have arguments that are pretty poorly defended, but what it amounts to is essentially offensive urban design versus economics.

No comments: