Monday, May 12, 2008

Welcome to Town

So you say you want to live in Colorado . . . Tim Srenaski, teammate #2 has made it to town, just in time for weirdness to ensue. Just to give a quick cross section of Boulder/Denver unique individuals . . .

You have Boulder-guy, complete with cowboy boots, man-dana, and man purse.


To contrast him, you have angry, gun totin', Republican guy. The picture doesn't have a high enough resolution for you to read his wheelchair bumper sticker, but it says "gun control means using both hands" . . . I'm pretty sure he was packing heat.


I'm pretty sure the one wearing the purple cape was on her way to some sort of witches and wizards gathering. I half expected her to run into a wall, trying to get to the Hogwarts Express. (for the record this picture was taken in Denver)


Though not part of the "Rogues Gallery" . . . I give you Brian Hutchison. Sporting the latest in retro fashionability, the Remember's Only jacket by Sessions, Brian looks with disgust at snow, that's right, snow, falling on his shoulders Saturday morning.


It was bad enough that we got snowed on at the top of Sunshine. Even worse that the snow followed us down the hill, disturbing our time sitting at Spruce Confections, enjoying coffee and scones.

For me, the race went about as expected. I tried to stay towards the front as long as possible before drifting back in the steeper sections. I managed to keep the front group in sight almost to the dirt, but as soon as I fell off, it became an exercise in riding at a sustainable pace for the remainder. I stayed with the rider from Horizon as long as possible and then just kept turning over the 39-23, hoping that nobody was coming up behind me too quickly. I met my first goal which was to stay in the top 20, finishing the day in 17th place. Times were not as fast as last year due to some lallygagging at the start and wet conditions on the dirt section. At the top, the wind picked up and snow started falling. We headed down the hill as quickly as possible to seek shelter and comfort in the form of scones.

I headed back up to Boulder, in much nicer weather on Sunday to ride with Hutchison, Reichardt and to show Tim some of the wonderful, local rides. We met at Spruce Confections and headed up into the hills, see ride route here. According to the GPS info, we rode 47.5 miles and climbed just a hair under 5000 feet, not a bad day all in all. I'm sure Tim enjoyed the additional elevation change, topping out at 9400' . . . Minneapolis is at an elevation of 866' just for reference.

It really was a pretty day in the hills, you can see Lickskillet Road drop off the face of the earth.


I'm not sure what the story is in the next two shots, use your imagination, if your story is good enough, I'll publish it on this very site!


The roads weren't this bad.


The hippie muffins at the Nederland Co-op weren't amazing yesterday, but still pretty good. I think this was the Halfwheel zucchini and strawberry. I'm sure it had some sort of flax seed and spelt goodness. The climb out of Ned to Magnolia was not aided by having it sitting in my stomach.


There were many other activities this weekend . . . sushi party, tennis, eating gelato, napping . . . oh weekend where have you gone?

No comments: