Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another Day, Another Blogger

I went to the well of inspiration and came up with a bucket full of boring this morning. Usually my walk with Dempsey gets the old creative thought process going, but today I got sidetracked when I noticed how much quieter it is outside with a layer of snow on everything. At that point I stopped thinking and just focused on drinking my coffee one sip at a time.

Ponder this one. Why do you read the blogs of others? I came up with three basic categories:

1) to keep current with the lives and thoughts of friends and acquaintances.
2) to read something written by somebody else about something I find humorous.
3) to see what utter stupidity the usual suspects are spewing forth.

It is really category 3 that concerns me the most. What is it about a train wreck that repeatedly draws our fascination and attention? I know some of these blogs have a track record of posts that are nothing but ill conceived, half-baked drivel, but I still eagerly await updates, knowing full well that I will leave shaking my head. Don't get me wrong, I love making fun of people, myself included, but what the hell am I thinking?

I picked up a couple new books at the library yesterday. One of them is Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy which was recently written up in the Wall Street Journal. So far it is an interesting read. I have found many of my views on "the grand scheme of things" reflected in the kernel of this book. My very own book report will probably never be written so go read the book yourself and then we can discuss.

No comments: