Sunday, February 24, 2008

Riding and Stuff

First and foremost, I have my car back, finally. Unfortunately as I suspected my battery was in the process of dying. The test at Autozone or wherever I was confirmed one of the cells was bad, new battery for me! Because of all the housing, shrouds, and decorative bits hiding the inner workings of the Passat, the sales people aren't allowed to touch anything. I reconfirmed my membership status as a card carrying male by replacing the battery which is tucked back well behind the engine and under a lot of plastic. Pictures to follow.

Saturday ended up being the big ride day. We started out nice and early at my house, heading down to the Chatfield Worlds after a healthy breakfast of eggs and homemade biscuits. The group ride was well attended this weekend, with a little more horsepower in the group making it harder to get away. I spent a good bit of time hammering at the front for fitness sake. After the group ride a few of us headed up High Grade. I was feeling pretty good so I picked a pace that felt "right" and tried to focus on form, rhythm, and all that crap. By the time we got to the Schoolhouse it was nice and cold and the snow started falling, nothing serious but it would have been nice to have brought the thermal vest. The remainder of us headed down to Conifer, over Blue Creek and down to Evergreen for the customary apple fritter at the Tin Star. I can't sing the praises loudly enough for this place. A giant apple fritter and two cups of hot chocolate for $6, what a deal!

The remainder of the ride back up to I-70, down Lookout, and home was a bit of a struggle, but all in all, it was a good time, 5+ hour and almost 100 miles later. It was good to see the masters guys out in full force. Alex was sporting the new, fashionable wheels that are to be my race wheels for the season, a nice new set of Dura-ace 50mm carbon wheels . . . sweeeeeeeeeet. Pictures to follow.

I took it easy today as per the program and rode for 2.5 hours, nothing crazy. I decided to invite some people over for an impromptu pizza party tonight, standard format, you bring the toppings, I provide the setups. Doug, Trina, Ivy, Matt, Megan, Deb and I feasted on such gourmet offerings as BBQ chicken pizza, pizza with ricotta and arugula, and whatever other toppings we could throw together. The real stroke of genius was the "pizza" with peanut butter, Nutella, and marshmellow. No pictures to follow.

Coming this week . . . more quality time on the trainer!

2 comments:

Steve Daniels said...

Mmmmm....nutella.

I am Brian said...

Ah yes... nothing like being out on a training ride on the deep dish carbon wheels.