Friday, February 8, 2008

The Hole Thing

I'm sure somebody is getting yelled at about this one:



Nothing like a sinkhole to ruin the evening commute, followed by the morning commute, followed by general traffic. Denver Water is investigating the cause of the break in the water main, but it is suspected that a pump failed resulting in a pressure surge which in turn lead to the breakage. Ooops.

In other hole news, the hole across the street from me is complete and ready for foundation work. I watched yesterday afternoon as they checked elevations one last time and moved the front end loader off the site. I let Dempsey guide me on the morning walk and saw a little more of the projects going on in the hood. Given the market conditions and housing trends, I wouldn't want to be the person sitting on a construction loan right now. Besides the usual concerns about a job in progress, I bet there are a lot of extra sleepless nights out there right now. One of the soon to be duplexes stood out from everything else in the neighborhood because of its size and bulk. The thing is truly massive, somewhat blocky, and a bit angular. I was comparing it to the more "traditional" scrape-to-duplex across the street. Maybe zoning has changed or there are no bulk plane restrictions on that lot . . . pictures to follow.

This week and the giant block of training I am in the middle of are almost over, finally. I had to take a look ahead to make sure I didn't have more of the same coming up. There is an end in sight, of course it also says I am going to Phoenix and Valley of the Sun . . . if I never go to that race again, it will be too soon! I'm looking forward to a weekend of some long, leisurely climbing rides and then some recovery.

No comments: