Monday, February 11, 2008

Luck?

A dog, hungry by nature, finds a plate of freshly fried eggplant, unguarded, ready for the taking . . . is it luck?

A basketball team, relying on a crappy, turnover prone point guard comes back from 13 points down to take the win in double overtime and keep alive a 52 game home winning streak against their opponent (what kind of stupid statistic is that anyways) . . . luck?

I don't have to ride today. Who's lucky there?

I am going to have to answer no to the above situations. Dempsey was given a gift, the gift of impeccable timing. Carolina is skilled despite last week's showing against Duke and those in attendance last night got their money's worth. Finally, I earned it. This past week was a big one on the bike. If I were so religiously inclined, I would probably have given up cycling for Lent.

Our ride Saturday was kept at a relatively mellow pace except for the efforts up Lookout and the moments where Kendall and I sped up for unknown reasons. Vera got to learn first hand why most of our friends ignore our phone calls over the weekend, knowing we are just looking for somebody to ride with. I can only point to my source of motivation for the random accelerations . . . gotta get to the Tin Star before the apple fritters are gone! Sunday's ride was harder than anticipated, but fortunately Dennis wasn't cracking the whip too much. I feel bad for Walker joining the ride cold only to head uphill immediately. I ended up climbing Lookout a second time for the weekend. At this point, my body is sore and tired. Even my arms still hurt. Wah, it is tough being me.

2 comments:

Velovera said...

I won't ignore the calls. I just might be "busy" the next time you ask me on an easy ride.

Velovera said...

PS eggplant ended up on my home made pizza (dough included). I have no dog, therefore, it ended up in my tummy.

Winter liver = lots of wine on the couch with the heat on under a down throw