Saturday, February 9, 2008

At Last . . .



After weeks of staring at the counter top in the basement, we finally picked it up and put it in its final resting place in the butler pantry. It was heavy, as to be expected, averaging 22 lbs/sqft for a 2" thick slab for a total sum of somewhere in the neighborhood of 165 lbs or so. Pinkerton and I did the heavy lifting to get the piece from the basement up to the kitchen and started the delicate ballet of slab maneuvering with Deb as a spotter when JD rolled in and said, "Oh good, I can take pictures." He knew full well that he was the only one with upper body strength worth a damn.


I think the color is good, finish came out great (especially with the microwave covering the one fault), and the overall look is pretty much what I was shooting for. Between the sealer and the wax, the concrete picked up a nice, warm glow to it, softening the cold thought of "concrete grey" as the color selection. I could have possibly gone darker with the color, but you can make the call.


Concrete can have sharp edges, Pinkerton's skin might now be a permanent fixture on the edge of the top somewhere. Impressively, we got the piece in place with minimal damage to the surrounding walls. The "alcove" type install wasn't the easiest to pull off because of limited wiggle room. Fortunately I have plenty of touch up paint and drywall "skills".

1 comment:

Velovera said...

isn't there supposed to be wine in the wine fridge? It looks like there's only beer.

Thanks for the rode today. I cleaned the bike right when I got home. Apple fritter power left me too quickly.